Thursday, June 26, 2014

What to Pack for Museum Research


The first day of researching at the museum I brought the following equipment:

  • laptop
  • SLR camera
  • color scanner
  • lighting setup + tripod
  • notebook for sketching
I realized after the first day that I needed a few more things...
  • serge protector/extension cord for scanner + laptop so the cords weren't straining to reach the outlet.
  • window cleaner and a rag to clean the scanner as some artifacts are crumbly
  • white poster board to photograph artifacts on for better contrast
  • loose copy paper to cover objects on the scanner bed that shouldn't be squished by the scanner lid
  • dark paper for contrast against white objects on the scanner since I'm looking to grab shapes/silhouettes of artifacts.
  • bring lunch, so that you can share a quick meal with the friendly resident artists
  • water bottle with tight closing lid (I can't drink it in the library, but have it tucked into my carry bag to take out into the hall when the dust chokes me up.)

It's not a perfect setup yet.  I'm still struggling with the lighting in the library for photography.  The big lighting kit and tripod are not compatible with the shared library space, so they've been staying in the minivan.   I have built a small  foam core light box, but it's performance was less than stellar.   I need to take another stab at balancing lighting within the light box to eliminate shadows.  This is one of the tasks I established in the grant.   You'll hear a big "Woo Hoo" when I finally get it right!   For now, I am working on themes for my fabric pieces.  I will work on doing my best quality photography work when I get a list of artifacts that requires the effort. 

One more adjustment gets made to the equipment in my working space...  I sat on the black wooden Windsor chair the first day and was so excited to be researching that I hardly noticed how darned hard the seat was...until I got up.   Now the wooden Windsor chair is placed to block folks from tripping on the power cords and I borrow a cushy leather chair to sit in instead!   Be good to yourself!



No comments:

Post a Comment